So...I really want to post about the gloriousness of my past 14 weeks of pregnancy...but first...I need some validation from you moms out there on a different topic....it's called (menacing piano plays "dundundundun") "shopping with kids". Ahhhhh!
This is totally something that feels like it takes up my whole day and every ounce of energy I possess! I don't like it! If I can pick and choose the combination of kids I could shop with...it would be Addie and Kaitlyn. My first choice would be to shop alone...second would be to shop with Brandon+kids and third would be any combination of kids besides Addie and Weston! He can't stand being restrained to a cart...and Addie can't stay by me to save her life! Here is what a typical "darn, we're out of toilet paper...I have to go to the store" kind of day would be like for me. First...I have to come to the realization that there is no way out of going to the store...
Then...I mental prep....seriously...I am just going to go to the store, get what I need and leave.
But first...I have to eat breakfast, get the kids to eat breakfast and stick them in front of the TV while I sneak off to take a shower...which can take anywhere from 10 minutes too FOREVER depending on if I can keep child #2 and #3 from joining me. Then I have to find something to wear...check on the kids...get them whatever it is they need or clean up whatever mess they made, OR if they got in the shower...get them dried...dressed and happy. Then I blow dry my hair and if I am really lucky one of the kids will try to help me and make the process take 10 times longer. Then, if I am really feeling impressive...I will straighten my hair and maybe brush on some foundation...but quick trips for toilet paper aren't impressive occasions...so I opt for a pony tail. Then, if I didn't do it already, I have to get the kids looking half way like somebody cares about them...(this means it's okay for Weston to wear sweat pants with cowboy boots)...and then make sure I have everything I need in the diaper bag...then change Weston's diaper that is probably poopy...then make sure Addie uses the bathroom which can take 2-20 minutes...THEN I can corral the kids into the van and restrain them in their seats...and turn on my soothing sounds of Hillary Weeks to calm my nerves only to look at the clock to realize that somehow it's already after 12:30 p.m. and I didn't even feed the kids lunch! (Good thing the grocery store gives out free sample cookies...that otta hold them over). So..the speed limit is 35 here...which is slow no matter where you live...so when I finally make it to the store I have to try to divert the kids attention from the huge double decker 2 seater shopping cart and the one dirty germ infested cart that looks like a rocket ship and takes NASA training to manuver. Then it's: strap one kid into the cart and pray they don't undo the clasp and climb out....but they do and they want to sit in the back of the cart...so I let them...then tell the poor kid 15 thousand times to sit down. {I have seriously had older people tell my kids they need to sit down so they don't fall out. "Seriously! Didn't you just hear me tell them that?! I was only standing right beside you! Time to check that hearing aide battery."...but of course I don't say that...I act like I am so greatful for their concern and kindly try to get my child to cooroperate.Honestly...I have had the same person tell my child they need to sit down more than once!)} Then, it's Addie's turn. On a good day...she will wander ahead of me or lag behind but she will listen and stay by me when I remind her to. On a bad trip...she will be like a walking circus act! I promise you that if I let her...she could climb under the cart, around the front, over the top, down the back and then under again all while I am pushing it...if I let her...and someday I might...just to see what kind of comments the old people will give me for THAT!
No wonder I crave chocolate. It's more like my brain is sreaming for relief! But...it's all good. Today, I managed to keep a positive attitude throughout the whole shopping experince (w/o chocolate...even though I did try to give my kids away once..but I did it in a nice voice with no exasperated sigh or rolling of the eyes)...and the kids even earned their fruit snacks. I however still had to come home, unload the groceries...because somehow I ended up with a whole cart full instead of just the toilet paper...and put it all away, get drinks for my kids and OH yeah...maybe some lunch for us...then herd them back out to the van to go get Kaitlyn from school.
...and it's only Monday...
Seriously...tell me this sounds familiar!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









8 comments:
Yes and I only have one that I shop with most of the time! When Emma comes it is always crazy, makes you wonder why we do this to ourselves!
I can hardly go shopping with just me and Jack!! You're my hero!! (and you really make me look forward to the next few years...) :)
You forgot to add the part when you get into the car and realize you forgot the toilet paper!!
Oh, and get this...last week an old lady at walmart told try to sit down and he listened. Go figure. I so understand!
Honey, I feel your pain! Sometimes I actually give in and let Carson ride under the cart...and sometimes even Halle-I'm a good mom like that-lol!
HAHAHAHA--you kill me!! That is so stinking funny. AND YES I FEEL YOUR PAIN. Everything you said I have experianced. It's just part of the "job" I guess. My least favorite to take shopping is Riley. He wants EVERYTHING and throws a fit if he doesn't get it. I always go when he is at school.
I totally know what you mean and how you feel. I dread going to the store with my kids. I think, how will I be able to do this with more kids.
congrats on being prego! woo hoo for another one of your cute kids! i'm so the same way with shopping - 1st choice, by myself, 2nd choice Curtis + kids, 3rd choice whatever child is not whining or feeling selfish. :)
So I didn't even know you were prego. Congrats! I HATE shopping with Kids!
Post a Comment