Friday, January 29, 2010
What do you all think?
As most of you know...I quit facebook back in like June or something. I loved being able to feel connected to people. The truth of it is (and this is what I told my SIL when we asked why I quit)...I often find myself bored and lonely and facebook gave me something to do and a connection to people I know but don't live near. BUT...I soon realized that facebook was a crutch and I needed to just quit cold turkey. Honesty, I haven't missed it one bit. I'd rather blog ( have to be careful about my time there too) and if I really want to talk to someone who doesn't blog I will call them or email them or send them a letter through the good old fashion mail. If I don't have access to a person through these means then, even though I may be interested in what's going on in their lives, it's not worth my time. Sitting at a computer instead of engaging in real life with my family is just sad. SO...I of course have felt like people think I am a little self righteous in saying that I quit facebook....but then I came across THIS article on the Mormon Times website and it was good to feel some validation about my choice. I know that we all have our own reasons for wanting to stay up to date with all the latest and greatest ways to get in touch and keep in touch with people...but I think it is definately something worth re-evaluating in our lives every once in a while. So...read the article (it's not long) and tell me what you think!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









10 comments:
I know what you mean, except I'm not on facebook all the time, I sit in front of the tv. I was just telling Byron the other day how we need to do more wholesome activities with our kids besides watching movies. You made a good choice.
I need to quit facebook. And I would except I have a friend that I graduated with and we have been chatting a lot and she is looking for a good church so I told he I know one :0 I have been helping her learn more about the church. Who would have thought facebook would be a missionary experience. I want to do better though and not get on all the time :S Thanks for the article it help put things into perspective. LOVE my music!
I think its what you make it. If you feel like you're not spending enough time other places, then you're not. If you feel like you're fine with things and no one else has a problem .. then sweet.
I agree with Lainie! It's a great way to keep in touch and up on the latest in a quick way. It's also a great networking tool. :)
I totally agree with you Laine....but then here's my other question. Can you be "atticted" to Facebook or texting or anyother technical communication without knowing it...like with substance abuse? If so...and other people see it in you and you don't see it in yourself then do they have an obligation to say something? I am totally throwing this out there for conversation purposes...not for any personal reasons.
meant "addicted"...
I think it can be addictive, but don't think it's really something to bring up to someone as a problem. It's to each their own in this situation I think. I hate to say it's not as bad as other things, but I guess that is what I'm saying. LOL We all have our issues and it's up to us to sort them I guess...LOL
Love ya nd get back on FB so we can chat!!! HAHA!!!
I just got a Facebook account a couple of months ago after protesting forever! I agree- if I wanted to talk to someone I would just pick up the phone. But I never knew anything going on with our family- it seemed like I was always last to find out. So I joined to keep up with my family (aside from you since you have this handy blog). I have not added a single long lost friend. I have only family, a couple of college friends who live far away and people from church that I've known forever. And I really like it. I have gotten to know all my cousin's spouses better. I get to see pictures of what everyone is up to. It makes me feel connected when I am another state away in a city with just me and Tom. I don't go on every day... I use it when I want to and don't waste my life away on it. That's the thing- you decide if it will be a casual keep in touch with family or an addiction.
I TOTALLY think it can almost be a physical addiction. Like tonight. I had to work and I was passing time by with facebook. My phone was being a jerk thought and wouldn't let me long in, it just kept asking me to log in over and over. You know how many times I kept logging in ... hoping it'll just work if I do it enough. At least 8 times. What the hell? Thats not natural and I need something else to occupy my time. A better example of physical addiction would, surprisingly, be a Dr. Phil episode that showed .. Friday afternoon? It was about a woman that was physically and mentally addicted to her Farmville account of facebook. It would go as far as her ignoring her teenagers and even completely "forgetting" to make dinner for them! I think if you allow yourself (or let yourself be vulnerable enough), anyone can become addicted to ANYTHING.
You guys have the best insights. Why can't we just live by eachother and not have to worry about wasting our time just trying to keep in touch with people? That's crazy about that Farmville lady...but I am sure it's not uncommon. I like Steph's idea of being very careful about who you have as "friends" so that you are only spending time connecting with people you really love and care about. As for me...right now...I can't add it back into my life. I'll just have to rely on the good ol' "family grapevine" and be the last to know what's going on. I just read that article and thought I'd share it and see what other people think.
Post a Comment