Saturday, March 20, 2010

Pregnancy

I need to talk a little bit about proper pregnancy etiquette. (How do you even spell that word and why don't I have spell check on here?)

Where do I began and how do I say these things tackfully? Okay...so, let's forget about tack...and I will start with telling you about an incident from today that happens to me EVERY time I am in public.

Picture me at the check out counter of Dollar General. (don't laugh, we're a small town and proud of our three dollar stores.)

Cashier: "When are you due"

Me: here we go again "May"

Cashier: Really?

Me: no, I made that up "Yup!"

Cashier: You look like you're about to pop!

Me: I'd like to POP you in the face for saying that! "That's what everyone says"

I am so tired of people telling me how BIG I am and seeing how shocked they look that I am out in public and not in a hospital bed doing lamaze breathing!

So, here's what I think: You should treat a pregnant woman the same way you'd treat an over weight person. Would you tell a stranger that happens to be 40 pounds overweight that they looked like they are about to pop? Would you tell an over weight family member or friend EVERY time you see them how much bigger they are then the last time you saw them? It's not okay to say that to a person who could use to lose a few pounds and it's NOT okay to keep saying it to me OVER and over...or any other pregnant lady for that matter! (there...I said it! *sigh*)

Brandon consoled me by telling me that I look cutier and cutier as my belly grows. Love ya Honey. I really do appriciate it. He also told me that I need to not take offense because people are not meaning to be offensive. I rebuttled with my "over wieght vs. pregnant" comparison. Just because something is true, it doesn't mean you need to say it, right?

Oh...and never, EVER call a pregnant woman "fat". Unless you are suicidal.

12 comments:

Stacey Mowers and Family said...

Agreed!! My favorite is when people would ask me, "Are you sure there aren't two in there?" People can be so dumb...you look cute!!

jill s said...

i couldn't agree more jen!!!!

when i was pregnant with emerson and was measuring 46 weeks at 35 weeks i came in for my check up and the OB i had to see said, wow! i really didn't think your belly could get any bigger! (he was a guy of course!!)

seriously?! seriously.

i barely gained any weight by belly was just HUGE.

so yeah. i agree with you. people need to keep their mouths shut!

Anonymous said...

I started calling a co-worker chubby as soon as she announced she was pregnant. She thought it was funny, but I got a lot of stern comments from other co-workers especially my boss.

heidi said...

completely AGREE! it's sad how tactless people can be. :)

Michelle said...

I agree my friend!!! I also happen to think you look adarable and need to post more pg pics!!! :)Oh, I wish there were some way I could come out and do your newborn pics, but prob ain't gonna happen. :( So looks like I will get to see your craetive work this time. :)

Mary Louise Flake said...

Tyler...You're lucky you didn't get fired! I would have filed a complaint against you if I were that lady! :)

Michelle....I WISH you could come take pics of me. I have no creative juices right now. I think I am too off balance physically to think straight! But, I want to take a new snap shot....just for records sake!

*Katie May* said...

Oh the joys of pregnancy :)

Shannon said...

I totally agree. People should just say things like "oh how exciting your having a baby," "is it a boy or girl." Not the "when are you due?" question. Some people just show more than others. I think you look totally cute with your pregant belly. I remember my sister in law that just had a baby in January she looked like she was going to fall over forward. She is really tiny like you, but had a beach ball belly toward the end of her pregnancy and got a lot of remarks from people like you listed in your blog. But she looked so cute too. People need to just keep their mouths shut.

Monty and Kristin said...

AMEN!!! You should send this to the New York Times!! I think you're totally cute pregnant! Enjoy it!! I would just say..."Hello...I am making a HUMAN!"

Tanya Leigh said...

No kidding. Of all the terrible things to say to a pregnant woman, "You look like you're about to pop" is the worst!!

Pregnancy is just such an amazing miracle. I just LOVE all the many shapes of pregnancy. We all "make humans" in a different shape, and it's ALL GOOD! :)

Don't you fret.

Jewel said...

Was it okay that we were joking about you being the scenery for Beauty and the Beast, or was that bad?

JK. Just know that it's because you're so skinny everywhere else, it makes your tummy look bigger. And you really do look cute. Seriously. :)

Michelle Johnston said...

Oh boy do I understand you right now! And I know that the Flake family has a history of saying exactly what they are thinking. Lovely:)

Cant wait to see your little bundle!