Saturday, May 23, 2009

Cow "tails"

Today was branding day! Branding is a big part of the Flake family heritage. Cowboying is a dying trade...so it's kind of neat to see my kids out doing the same thing (with some of the same equipment probably) that their great-great grandfather...all the way down to their own dad did. Plus...it was a great photo opportunity... and I hate to pass up one of those! I didn't brand a calf...but I did vaccinate one. Weston "rode" a calf. I have a little video clip to post of that later.
I should warn you before you look at the pictures that some of them are down right gross and if you are a big animal rights activist...then you might want to not look at this post at all!
Weston's first time branding a calf...w/the help of dad of course. This is what it looks like after the calf has gone through the shoot. They catch it in the calf table vertically then turn it horizontal to brand, dehorn, earmark (cut a little triangle out of one ear), tag, vaccinate and if necessary castrate. Then they turn it upright and let the calf go.
This is was Kaitlyn spent most of her time doing...collecting ears and sacks. (yes..."nut sacks"...we're sooo proud of her!) Another calf in the table...this was a pretty big one.
Brandon and Weston on Bizness Weston, checking out a cow-pie. I told him it was poop and he said, "gross!"

Tyler (Brandon's brother) was clipping an ear I think...
Kaitlyn branded two calves. Rend helped. Actually it was probably the other way around!
Cousins spectating. (left to right) Trey, Josh, Bryant, Spencer and Adelin
That's all for now folks! :)

6 comments:

*Katie May* said...

Looks interesting and fun!

Shannon said...

wow I don't know if I would be able to be there for that. What it takes to be a cow boy I guess. Glad I'm not one, a cow girl that is.

mindy said...

Hey! thanks for your comment on blueyedesign! YES i would love if you'd put a link on your blog!!! thank you!!! :)

Michelle said...

Ok, I am about to revoke your camera rights!! Those are some nasty pics if you know what I mean!! You crack me up...thanks for the post. :)

Skye said...

Weston needs some cowboy boots!
What a cutie :). I love the 'cowboy' life, I am jealous.

p.s. I have another giveaway on my diaperstyle.blogspot.com blog...check it out!

Tanya Leigh said...

Oh, branding. Those were the days. I was never brave enough to get in there myself, but I do remember how LOUD it was, and my cousins all offering "huevos" to eat.

no thanks.