Sunday, February 22, 2009

cattle, sick kids, defensive driving...

We started out the week enjoying a lovely (windy) day of NO SCHOOL! Brandon didn't have to go to work...but he did need to move some cows...so we all went. Usually when Brandon has time to help with ranch work...he takes Kaitlyn with him and I stay home with the little kids who don't know how to help/ride a horse. This time Brandon seduced me into coming with him by telling me that it would be fun to get some pictures. (What!? Pictures? I'm THERE!) Sadly, like I said, it was a very windy day which caused a LOT of camera shake...plus this was my first real chance to try out my new lens and I discovered that a.) it's a macro lens...{good for close ups and getting details of like a flower or something...not the lens we thought we bought} and b.) the auto focus wasn't working all the time. So I ended up with more blurry pictures than good ones...but at least now I know that the lens needs to be returned...which by the way will happen as soon as amazon sends us a box. Brandon had to pull every trick in the book to get them to return it. Anyhow...Brandon spent a good half hour trying to catch the horses who evidently heard it was a holiday and didn't want to work. He finally got on Flops bare-back and was able to catch Chester and Lady-X. (He's still sore from that!) Then we drove out to...whatever tank it was that the cows needed to be moved from and found NO COWS. Brandon thought that maybe they had gone into the other pasture since the water in the tank was really low...but after calling his brother we realized that we were at the wrong pasture! (oops!) Kaitlyn and Addie enjoyed the short horsey ride...and Weston enjoyed throwing rocks and eating dirt while mommy messed with the camera! We drove to the OTHER tank and low and behold...there were cows...big fat momma once and little newborn baby ones who all dutifully got up and allowed Brandon to show them the way through the gate and into the pasture where their cow friends awaited them. Then we went home, had lunch and went to Show Low to exchange the defective blind we had bought.

Tuesday through Friday...Addie and Weston were both pretty sick with coughs and colds. Friday, Kaitlyn came home from school and spent most of the day on the couch. She fell asleep at around 4:30 p.m. and slept until morning. She spent all day Saturday with a fever and tummy ache...today she's eaten a little but she still has had a fever. Weston woke up from his nap with a fever too...so it looks like it'll be another week of illness around here.

Yesterday I had the great honor and privileged of attending a Defensive Driving Course. Yes.....I got a ticket. I seriously never speed. I live in Snowflake for crying out loud! The speed limit is 35 mph!...well...there is that tiny stretch in "Belly Button" where it goes up to 40 mph...and on the way to Show Low the speed limit is 65 for most of the way...but I am so used to driving slow around town that I usually go 60! So....how did I get a ticket? Well...I was driving home from Mesa. I had left an hour later than I had planned to and was afraid that if I didn't make up some time, I'd have to drive on The Rim after dark. And it had been foggy...so that would've made it even harder to see the ice on the road or the Elk that might try to cross....so all this was going through my mind...as I was nearing Payson...I noticed a gray car off to the side of the road and thought to myself that it might be a cop and was slowing down...but he'd already gotten me! He was really nice and informed me that he could take me to jail but he'd "give me a break"...and instead of informing HIM that I could use a break from house work and jail might not be so bad as long as it was sanitary...(j/k) I thanked him and went on my way! SO! Driving School wasn't that bad! I think we should all have to take the course every 4 years or so...just to refresh our memories! BUT since that probably will never happen...I took some notes! :) {I was bored okay!} I'll share a few with you...just for fun!

~The lady sitting a few seats down is wearing huge furry boots that look like part of a buffalo costume.
~ An old man walked in. Should he still be driving?
~ An older man just sat next to me. I can smell the Diet Pepsi he is drinking.
~"Buffalo Boots" brought a Victoria Secrets catalog to Defensive Driving...odd...
~Just found out that we don't get a break until 2:30...and I didn't eat lunch...
~"Pepsi Guy" just let out a little burp...and I could smell it...(gross)

...okay...I actually took real notes too...but writing about the people around me is what kept me interested for 5 hours! It probably wasn't the nicest thing to do...but I had to stay awake somehow! :) Honestly...I enjoyed the class and learned that Arizona has AWESOME DUI laws. They are tough and I think that is great. If someone is caught driving while intoxicated...you better believe that's not the first time they've driven under the influence...so I think it's great that they get ticketed and fined and made to use the interlock system (where you have to breathe into it to start your car...plus in costs up the wah-zoo!)

Anyhow...I better go get kids in bed! I have pictures to post as soon as I get the time! (maybe tomorrow...)

5 comments:

*Katie May* said...

hope they feel better.

jill s said...

i'm glad you survived the defensive driving class!

what lens did you get??

Russel and Marcie Sipes said...

OK how funny-not that you got a ticket--I HATE getting pulled over. Who am I kidding I have never been pulled over but have been with Russ several times. I think it's a good idea for us all to take that class because from your notes it sounds--FABULOUS!!!

We too have had lots of sickness. No fun. Hope you all get better soon.

Jewel said...

It sounds like you enjoyed your driving class...good for you, making the best out of a not-so-fun situation! I missed you on Saturday, but I know how you feel--I only had to go to Driving School once, but it was on my 17th birthday. Sigh. Not so much fun. And I didn't take nearly as interesting notes as you did. :)

Larson Family said...

Haha, Jennifer your notes were hilarious. PS, I know I'm a wierd Flake cowgirl, but I am so JEALOUS you got to go out riding, well, taking pictures anyway. I know I sound crazy, but I miss going riding even in the wind that almost knocks you off your horse. (I'll probably be eating my words the next time I'm caught in a windstorm.)