Friday, May 16, 2014

Diastasis Recti

My friend Angela called me today....She told me about diastasis recti which is a term I have heard before....but didn't remember. I just thought is was the doctors (my OBGYN and 2 plastic surgeons) way of telling me that I look fat...but in medical terms.Basically, it means that the abdominal muscles are separated.

It hurts me to have people ask me if I am pregnant or say things like:

"When's your baby due?"

"I didn't know that you were expecting!"

(all while rubbing or patting my NOT pregnant belly)

It is so discouraging to work out and still look pregnant. (even more discouraging when people point it out to me...on a very regular basis)

Anyhow. Angela told me that she had heard about exercises that can heal the diastasis!

I have spent the better part of today researching this.

 I am happy to report that I feel hope for my messed up, stretched out, protruding belly for the first time in over 6 years!

I just ordered a DVD, guidebook and splint.

My muscles need to heal...much like a broken bone. The splint will hold my muscles (and my internal organs that are misplaced and basically hanging out) in place and close together so that the connector tissues can reestablish and heal. The exercises help the muscles be in the right position to heal correctly. I also learned that sit ups, crunches and planks actually make the diastasis larger and should be avoided until the muscles are healed.

Think you might have DR? Wanna find out? 

Here's how:
  1. Lie on your back with your knees bent, and the soles of your feet on the floor.
  2. Place one hand behind your head, and the other hand on your abdomen, with your fingertips across your midline-parallel with your waistline- at the level of your belly button.
  3. With your abdominal wall relaxed, gently press your fingertips into your abdomen.
  4. Roll your upper body off the floor into a "crunch," making sure that your ribcage moves closer to your pelvis.
  5. Move your fingertips back and forth across your midline, feeling for the right and left sides of your rectus abdominis muscle. Test for separation at, above, and below your belly button.

1 comment:

Jewel said...

I TOTALLY have the same thing (although the three-kids version...one that isn't quite as noticeable so long as I'm wearing baggy shirts, but I definitely can't get away with wearing anything more form-fitting without some help)--along with a hernia about the size of my fist around my belly button. I've done some research before on exercises to do with it, but I'd love to hear what you come up with.
So sorry for peoples' insensitive comments, and I'm so glad that you're feeling hope on how to help your injured muscles start working again!!
Yay for hope!!