Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Free at LAST!

My dad called me today with some of the BEST news I have heard in a LONG time! He told me that his dad (my Grandpa Barrett) is "free at last!" CANCER FREE that is! He was diagnosed with cancer last October. He had a softball sized tumor on the back of his neck, in a place that made surgery too risky. He started chemo just before Thanksgiving....after several rounds of that...the cancer cells weren't gone....so he had several rounds of radiation....and the caner was still there...then he had a little more chemo. My Grandpa is one of the healthiest people I know! He's 83 for crying out loud and having cancer was like only the 2nd time in his life that he's been given serious medical attention. When he first went to his oncologist (doesn't that word just make you cringe?) he filled out his paperwork and turned it into the receptionist. Then she called him up to the window...thinking that he was just another absent minded geriatric patient and told him that he had forgotten to fill out the part where you list the medications you are on. But unlike most people his age....my Grandpa had NO medications to list. This guy is awesome. He works out every day, takes vitamins, you name something that might help you be healthy (besides not eating a big In-N-Out burger+milk shake) and I bet he does it or has tried it. And that was before cancer. He's kept it up all throughout this experience. I know that when he first found out about the cancer...he was feeling really low. He's not used to feeling sick and unable to do all the things he likes to do which includes working at the Orange County Fair taking school kids on tours of Centennial Farm. He LOVES being able to do that and I am SO thrilled that he still can! I have prayed and prayed for his cancer to go away. I called him to tell him how happy I am and he told me..."Things happen in the Lords time, not ours. Sometimes he lets us suffer first." So true...about so many things. I just can't tell you how HAPPY I am that it was in the Lord's plan for my Grandpa to be "free"! He told me that he "has a good 10,000 miles left to go....or at least until his warranty is up...whenever that is." And that he is just gonna "keep on keeping on." :)

ANYHOW! I just had to share that great news!

4 comments:

Monty and Kristin said...

Congratulations! That's great news. I'm so happy for him and for your family!! Sounds like you'll have a lot of fun times ahead to cherish. YEAH!!

heidi said...

that is so wonderful!!! what a breath of fresh air!

Michelle said...

What great news...congrats to the family!!

Angela said...

What wonderful news. I know you have been very worried about him!