Monday, August 10, 2009

Our mini-vacation

Last week, Brandon and I decided that we needed to take a mini family vacation. We couldn't decided where to go....we didn't really want to go to the Valley...because it's just too hot there right now. We thought of just going up to Pinetop or Lakeside to a hotel with a swimming pool just so that the kids could swim all day Saturday....but that didn't work out.....then we thought about driving to Albuquerque, NM for the weekend....but changed our minds and went to Sedona instead. Actually....we stayed in Camp Verde because hotel rates are much cheaper there. We left Friday night. We ate dinner in Payson then got back on the road again. We only saw one elk on our drive! We got to our hotel at around 9:30 p.m. We wasted no time...changed into our swim suits and headed down to the pool. We mostly stayed in the spa...because the pool wasn't heated. I think we got to bed a little before midnight that night. Saturday morning we slept in. Brandon went down and got food for us from the complimentary breakfast. It is a MUST to stay at a hotel that offers free breakfast when you have kids. We've gone to nicer hotels that don't and totally regretted it. Anyhow....after breakfast we went down to the pool again. We swam for a good hour or more. When it got too hot, we went inside, showered off, changed and headed to Sedona. We got there and ate lunch, then went to down town and walked through the shops, ate yummy Popsicles and enjoyed the beautiful scenery. We stayed there for almost 2 1/2 hours. We got back in the van and Kaitlyn's flip flop broke! Perfect timing! We headed over to the little outlet mall in Oak Creek and bought one of Gap's last pair of clearance flip flops! I was so glad they had a cheap pair! Then Brandon and I checked out a few other stores. We got some good deals for Brandon. I got some pants for the cruise. You can't wear jeans in the dining hall...and I didn't own any pants that aren't jeans! Well...we left the outlet mall and found some dinner at Wendy's...then went to the grocery store to get things for a picnic the next day...then it was back to the hotel for another dip in the pool before bed. We hadn't packed church clothes, so on Sunday we slept in like lazy sinners, then packed up and left. Honestly...it was a real lesson to us that day. We decided that the next time we go on a weekend trip, we will take our church clothes even if we don't know where a church building is and try to find one because it just didn't feel right not going to church. So, anyhow....on the way home, we kept looking for a good place to have a picnic. We had thought that the Tonto Natural Bridge just would be a good spot. We started driving down to it....but I just couldn't handle the mountain road. It was SUPER steep and was just making me too panicky....so we turned around and kept on driving. We made it to Payson and then drove around on some back streets that we normaly don't go down and we found a beautiful little lake and across the way was a park with picninc tables and a play ground. We ate our lunch then let the kids play for a little while. After that....we loaded up and headed for home! It was good to get home and just sit and relax for a while. Then we had dinner and got the kids ready for bed. Brandon gave all the kids Father's blessings because Kaitlyn was starting school today....and Addie wanted a blessing too because she's going to start preschool when we get home from Alaska...and Weston wanted a blessing because he's just cute!

So....that pretty much sums up our mini vacation! We are glad we did it. It was fun, relaxing, and I think we made some good memories!



These pink havelina's were outside the "Pink Jeep Tours" office.
Doesn't that little one loot like it's sniffing Kaitlyn's head? I love how Addie posed too!The kids loved this little water feature.
Hmmm....now I know why Kaitlyn's flip flop broke!

And this is just one of the many great views of the red rocks!

2 comments:

Angela said...

So fun! I love Sedona! I am glad you did it!

Michelle said...

Yay, for mini vacations...they are great!!