Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Music

So, I have a CD player in my kitchen and in my car. I am not all up to date in the technology department. Brandon has an MP3 player that he got for Christmas but neither one of us has really used it yet. To be honest, Brandon and I get very little time to listen to "our music". We have LOTS of opportunities given to us to listen to "the kids" music...which I must say isn't awful because we buy Broadway soundtracks and they LOVE them and we like them too...but still...over the past 6 1/2 years, "my music" is something I have inadvertently sacrificed. I don't know why. I used to listen to (and play) music all the time. My favorite for the LONGEST time has been music by LDS artists...mostly Kenneth Cope and Hilary Weeks. I spent many nights crying while listening to the song "He Hears Me" (by Hilary Weeks). And I remember going to see Kenneth Cope in "My Servant Joseph" with my mom and I remember going to a youth fireside with my Aunt Bev and hearing Janice Kapp Perry sing one of her songs. (She doesn't have the greatest voice by the way...but she is an amazing song writer.)...and I remember all the countless songs we sang in Young Womens and the Sacrament performances we did, and going to hear Micheal Ballam......... Music was a BIG part of my life growing up! Then I moved to Arizona where being able to play the piano was no big deal. Everyone can do it and so I just sort of stopped playing for anyone but myself and then I married into a very musically talented family and just stuck my little bit of talent under a bush because I am in no way as good as they are. (silly of me to think that way...I know)...ANYHOW...what's the POINT of me mentioning any of this you're asking??? I have just been listening to "my" music again and I am seeing the positive impact it has on my life! I am currently LOVING the new Kenneth Cope CD...but I have to say, as much as I love Kenneth Cope (and he loves me too remember???) the CD I am listening to over and over and over is Hilary Weeks "If I Only Had Today". That title track has become my personal anthem! I love to listen to it and just feel the words.That sounds so corny I know...but listening to it helps me to keep things in my life where they should be. Or to at least try harder to. I have also been trying to spend a little time at the piano. I LOVE the piano. I remember when I was 13, I was dying to learn how to play. I didn't think that my parents could afford to pay for my lessons so I started to teach myself using my friends piano any chance I got. I know I must have drove her and her family crazy but you know what? I taught myself how to read music and I LOVED it! My mom started asking around to see if there was anyone who could give me lessons...and I remember just praying to be able to take piano lessons...and I don't know how, but I was able to take lessons for 4 years from someone I admire and love. Barbara Peterson probably had tons of other things to do with her busy day, but once a week she took time away from her 6 kids and sat with me at the piano. I don't know how many people she'd taught before me...or how many since, but she just had a way of making me feel like I was her best and favorite student. She even found a piano for me at a yard sale that my parents bought and I have it in my front room now!.... anyhow... I don't know what happened. My life got busy with school and work then getting married and having kids....then, this past week I have been helping Kaitlyn learn a song that she is going to sing with 7 other primary kids at the Stake Enrichment activity this Saturday. It just melts my heart to hear her sing! I love that she loves music and it has reminded me that I love music too!

...So...anyhow...I guess I just wanted to say that music is a wonderful tool for inviting the spirit into our lives. I have always known that...but I have been making listening to uplifting music a priority and it really does work! I notice a differnce when I don't.

I tried to find "If I Only Had Today" on YouTube so you all could hear it and see what a great song it is and stop thinking that I am crazy for listening to it so much...but, I couldn't find it! So, here are they lyrics:

"It seems like I've watched a million sunsets
And stared at a thousand full moons
Sometimes it feels like I've been here forever
And sometimes it all feel brand new

I could never count the heartbeats
From the day I was born until now
But not a single one goes unnoticed
By Him who breathes life in me somehow

But if there were no more tomorows
If I knew that I could not stay
I know how I'd spend every moment
If I only had today

I'd hold you and listen
And I'd let the dishes sit in the sink
I'd tell you I loved you over and over
And for once I'd just let the phone ring
Then I'd remind you of forever
And how our love would never change
If I only Had today


I'd wake up before the sun did
And watch as you quietly sleep
I'd pray for time to move slowly
Knowing the moments wont keep

All the gifts that heaven has given
Every blessing that's come my way
Wouldn't mean anything without you
So if I only had today

I'd hold you and listen
I'd memorize every detail of your face
I'd tell you I loved you over and over
I wouldn't let excuses get in the way
Then I'd remind you of forever
And how our love would never change
If I only had today


There's no time like the present
Life doesn't come with any guarantees
The sun will set and time wont wait

So while I have today

I'll hold you and listen
I'll let the dishes sit in the sink
I'll tell you I love you over and over
For once I'll just let the phone ring
And I'll remind you of forever
And how our love will never change
Because I had today"


I shoulda warned ya to have a tissue handy huh? That whole album is amazing really. And I was so thrilled today because I found that Hilary has a blog. How fun is that!?

Here is a link you can go to if you want to hear some of her songs. I highly recommend THIS ONE!

Anyhow...I better go to bed!

Take care you all!

3 comments:

Monty and Kristin said...

So, I have to tell you I loved this blog entry! I know what you mean about Music. I loved how you said, "Feel the music" because I feel the same way. I'm glad you are getting back into music and totally want that CD. What a sweet song! So true. Yes...we need to keep our lives in perspective. I'm glad MUSIC is back in your life!! Love ya

John and Lisa said...

I actually know how you feel, here, Jennifer. And I'm really proud of you for "finding your music" much sooner than I did. I used to sit at the piano for hours as a teenager, and compose. I'm not a good sight reader, but I loved composing songs, and loved the praise I got from people who heard my music. (just being honest). Then I got married, and after my children came, I just kind of stopped. I wish I hadn't. And sadly, some of those songs in my head, I struggle to remember, but lately, I've been trying to pull them out of my brain! Good for you for getting back into it way before I did! No talent is too small!

Brandon said...

Don't let Jennifer fool you when she says she only has a "little talent" on the piano. She might not know as many songs as others, but has a much softer smoother touch than most.