Monday, December 8, 2008

"...make sure your babies grow up to be CoWBoYs!"

Last Friday night, Brandon and I...along with the majority of his siblings, his mom and hundreds of other people...attended the 2008 Arizona Heritage Award dinner at the Scottsdale Plaza Resort put on by the Arizona Chamber of Commerce and Industry Board of Directors. In Jake's honor, Mary Louise was presented with the award which "honors individuals whose accomplishments and commitments to Arizona are recognized not only in Arizona but also nationally and internationally." Not only was there an award presentations...but these people went ALL OUT! They had a life size cut out of Jake on a horse and when we were seated at our (huge) table, beside each plate was a miniature f-bar branding iron with a tag attached to it that said,"In Memory of Jake Flake". We were then served a wonderful meal (if you like mostly raw steak or salmon...which I don't...{the steak was raw...not the fish})...but I am certain everyone else there enjoyed their meal and even though my steak was bright pink inside I totally appreciated the "plate presentation!" They branded the steak with the f-bar brand! WAY COOL! (I took a picture!) Along with dinner, there was a wonderful program. Whoever planned it did such a good job! They had a video presentation with pictures of Jake and comments from people he knew saying nice things about him. There were tributes given by Russell Bowers, Jeff Flake (Brandon's cousin and U.S. Congressman) and also Senator Jon Kyl. My favorite part of the whole program was the song written and performed by Ken Bennett (former Senate Pres. and a good friend of Jake's)...and another guy...I can't remember his name (Mindy told me it was Rusty Bowers???) Anyhow...the song they sang was hilarious. I was able to record most of it but it's hard to make out some of the parts...and I was really trying hard to not laugh and make the camera shake...but I don't think I did a very good job at that! All I can say is that the whole night was wonderful. I am so glad I went. It made me miss Jake, but being in a room full of people who missed him too was comforting. Arizona really knows how to "mourn with those who mourn".
The Man of Honor!
Part of our group......and the rest. Yes, these are all Brandon's siblings and their spouses...minus 7 people (Jennifer, Darin, Doug, Jenn, Pam, Jeff L. and me {behind the camera}, and plus Jeff and Cheryl).
I included this picture because it shows the little branding iron...and because it looks like Jeff is a chorister...even though he wasn't leading music! :)Them was some good vittles! :) {at least the veggies I ate were!}Getting ready to sing....stay tuned for the footage! Award being presented to Mary Louise.

6 comments:

Mindy said...

The man who sang with Ken Bennett was Rusty Bowers.

Mindy

Michelle Johnston said...

Doesnt it just make you wish he could have gotten all of these awards BEFORE he died? Thankyou so much for sharing! I miss him too! He was like a second father to me:)

Celeste Dana said...

Jennifer,
I'm so glad you took pictures and wrote about the night. It was great wasn't it? I would love to see the song performance.

Celeste

Vicki said...

Hey Jen thanks for posting those pictures. I heard they were having that for him. I think that's great. He really was a great man who influenced many peoples lives for the good, including mine. :)

Melis said...

That looks AWESOME! I'm so glad you got to go too, and that you are able to share this with us. I love the cutout of him on a horse! It makes me miss him being around too.

Amy said...

Shoot, I just found out that I can't get those pictures with a good resolution...would you mind sending them to me! Also, I would love to see the video of the song!

Thanks for posting these!