Monday, December 15, 2008

ADDIE is 3!

Today is Adelin's 3d birthday! Can you believe it!? I was looking in her journal and on her 1st birthday I mentioned that I hadn't written about the night she was born yet and promised to do it soon...well...I looked through the rest of her journal and realized that I never wrote about it...maybe I did in an email or something...in fact, in her journal I found conflicting information about her birth weight! On her announcement it says she was 7 lbs. 6 oz. and in her journal I wrote that she weighed 8 lbs. 14 ounces...which I know for a fact is false! I don't know where I got that from!

I just looked through my past emails and wasn't able to find anything containing the story of the night Addie was born. I guess it's never too late!

So, Adelin was born two and a half weeks before her due date on December 15th, 2005 at 11:36 p.m. in Show Low, Arizona at Navapache Regional Medical Center. Dr. Tindall delivered her. She weighed 7lbs. 6 oz. and was 22 inches long. We were all surprised that she was such a skinny baby because Kaitlyn had been a chunk!

Adelin Dee (her middle name is after my Great Aunt Deanna) was my shortest delivery. She was born just two and a half hours from the time I started thinking that maybe the pains I was feeling weren't gas! We had just moved here to Snowflake 2 weeks earlier and were very busy cleaning and fixing up our house (that still hasn't changed!)...we decided to make a trip to Show Low to get a few things, including a Christmas Tree. We were at Home Depot looking at light fixtures when I started feeling labor pains...but still I wasn't sure if I was in labor or not. We paid for our things and got in our car (actually...now that I think about it...we had borrowed Brandon's dad's truck to bring home our Christmas tree and it was a good thing because his cell phone was in it...and we didn't have one!) I told Brandon that I was having pretty regular pains but we decided to eat dinner and finish our shopping. We must have let Kaitlyn pick where to eat because we ended up at the McDonald's inside Wal-Mart. We ordered our food and I tried to eat my chicken nuggets but found myself timing contractions instead. People where looking at me like, "Hey lady! The hospital is across the street!" I didn't want to go lay around the hospital for hours in labor... so we walked around Wal-Mart (still timing contractions...they were like 3-4 minutes apart)...By the time we got to the garden area I wasn't concerned about what species of tree we got, how tall it was or if it had bare spots. We grabbed a tree, Brandon went and got the truck, called his mom to ask her to meet us at our house and we were off! I think we called my parent's along the way as well. Mary Louise met us at our house and I hurried and packed a suit case for Kaitlyn...(still timing contractions...they were like 1 minute apart now)...then we got my bag, hoped in the car and sped back to Show Low. Brandon and I were taking bets on how dilated I'd be and how much longer I'd be in labor. We got to the hospital. I walked into the Emergency Room and they were hurriedly getting me a wheel chair and acting like somehow coming through in the hospital door had taken away my ability to walk. But, I sat in the wheel chair and they wheeled me past all the sick people who wished me "good luck"...and into Labor and Delivery. I remember telling them that my first baby was born after being in labor for 5 hours and that I was dilated to a 4 at my doctor appointment the day before. They of course acted like I didn't know what I was talking about...which was okay...they found out pretty quick that I move along fast...luckily Dr. Tindall got there in time! Adelin was born and we were SO happy...especially me...there's nothing better than the relief from pain you feel after giving birth followed by the joy and awe of holding your little baby. We thought Addie was hungry because she kept licking the nurses hands...but we later found out that she just has an extra long tongue...(courtesy of her Aunt Kayla I am told!) Another thing I remember about Adelin's birth is that while Dr. Tindall was delivering what he called "The ugly twin" (aka placenta) He and Brandon talked about cows and how they eat the placenta after they "calf". Lovely huh? They talked about cows after Weston was born too. Anyhow...Adelin was such a cute little baby. Her nose was a little mashed up, but that helped me to know that she was my baby! I stayed in the hospital an extra day because I had group B strep and didn't have time to get the antibiotics for it prior to delivery. I loved that they brought her to me in a Christmas stocking and a little hat after they did all the tests on her and washed her up after she was born! She's been a bundle of joy and a handful every since. We wouldn't trade her in for a less hyper active child...would we Brandon? If nothing else, besides the headaches, she gives us lots of stories to tell! For instance! The other night we were at Lowe's looking at bathroom sinks and vanities. Kaitlyn, Adelin and Weston were all having a great time playing "pretend" with the display tubs, toilets and sinks. Brandon and I were discussing pedestal sinks when we heard, "I need to go to the bathroom!" and turned around to see Addie with her pants down, climbing on to a display toilet! We were lucky enough to stop her before any "damage" was done. Brandon and I both later agreed that if she had "damaged" the toilet...we would have just closed the lid and walked away.

Well!!! Addie-girl! I hope you have a fun 3rd birthday with many more to come!

Newborn...
One year old.
Love ya! {hugs & kisses}

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Happy birthday my future daughter in law!!! Hope is was a great one you cutie pie!! Hugs from Cali!

*Katie May* said...

WOW you went super fast for labor! That was a fun story. I need to do it for all my kids. I am bad :(

Marci said...

Loved it!!

Jewel said...

So, I'm curious--how dilated were you when you finally went in? :) You can tell I'm pregnant, huh? I love all these details. Happy birthday, Adelin!!!!

Jennifer said...

Jewel,
I was only at like a 5 or a 6 when we got there...but Addie was born not even an hour later. So far I have been blessed to have good deliveries...no "pushing for 5 hours" or any of that. The longest I have had to push for was with Kaitlyn and that was 15 minutes.

Melis said...

What a great story! I remember when you first moved here and had to clean and scrub that house you are in being very heavy with child. Addie is adorable and I can't believe she is 3!?